23 May 2017 - Berlin
Delivery Hero with successful start to 2017
Berlin, 23 May 2017 – Delivery Hero Group (“Delivery Hero”), the leading global online food ordering and delivery marketplace, today reported strong revenue growth in the first quarter of 2017. Revenues nearly doubled to EUR 121 million (Q1 2016: EUR 63 million), corresponding to a growth rate of 93% or 68% on a like for like basis, while order numbers grew by 62% or 46% on a like for like basis.1, 2
Niklas Östberg, CEO of Delivery Hero, said:
“We continued on our growth path at the start of the year while also getting closer to profitability. We have continued to focus on creating an amazing takeaway experience and entered into new partnerships to expand our reach. This puts us in a strong position to maintain growth momentum throughout the year and in the medium term, while continuing to improve our profitability as we reach further scale.”
Group financial developments1:
- Strong increase in first quarter (Q1) 2017 revenues by 93% to EUR 121 million (Q1 2016: EUR 63 million).
- Growth across all regions with revenues in Europe growing by 44% (38% like for like2), Middle East & North Africa by 92% (87% like for like2), Asia by 222% (99% like for like2) and Americas by 131% (131% like for like2).
- Order numbers grew by 62% to 63 million in Q1 2017 (Q1 2016: 39 million), up 46% on a like for like basis2.
- GMV8 up by 62% as Delivery Hero processed orders with a total merchandise value of EUR 846 million (Q1 2016: EUR 521 million), up by 49% on a like for like basis2.
- On 1 April 2017, Delivery Hero announced a strategic partnership with AmRest, the largest publicly listed restaurant operator in Central Europe.
- On 9 May 2017, Delivery Hero together with Starship Technologies launched robot food delivery in Europe.
- On 10 May 2017, Lieferheld.de announced its partnership with McDonald’s.
- Furthermore, in April 2017 Eric Lange, former VP Customer Experience at Indian e-Commerce marketplace Flipkart, became new Chief Product Officer.
- On 12 May 2017, it was announced that Naspers, a global internet and entertainment group and one of the world’s largest technology investors, is investing EUR 387 million into newly issued and existing Delivery Hero shares and will also be represented with one member on Delivery Hero’s Supervisory Board.
Delivery Hero Group – financial results1
|Q1 2017||Q1 2016||FY 2016|
|Group revenues (EUR in million)||121||63||2973|
|Total segment revenues (EUR in million)||118||62||290|
|Total segment order numbers7 (in million)||63||39||171|
|Total segment GMV8 (EUR in million)||846||521||2,324|
1 All numbers excluding UK operations (discontinued operations).
2 “Like for like” presents Delivery Hero’s results for the first three months of 2016 as if the acquisition of foodpanda had occurred on 1 January 2016 and excludes contributions from operations reported in discontinued operations as well as orders and GMV from Delivery Hero’s Chinese operations, which were sold in the first half of 2016. No adjustments have been made for Hungerstation (included from July 2016).
3 Group Revenues include total segment revenues and other reconciling items. foodpanda was only acquired on 31 December 2016, accordingly, no revenue contributions from foodpanda are included.
4 MENA: Middle East & North Africa, incl. Turkey
5 Asia: incl. Australia
6 Americas: incl. Canada
7 Order numbers capture the orders made by the end consumers in the presented period.
8 GMV represents the value of goods including value added tax transmitted to restaurants, which is used as basis to assess the commissions.
About Delivery Hero
Delivery Hero is the leading global online food ordering and delivery marketplace with more number one market positions, a larger addressable market and a higher number of orders than any of its competitors and online and mobile platforms across 40+ countries in Europe, the Middle East & North Africa (MENA), Latin America and the Asia-Pacific region. Delivery Hero also operates its own delivery service primarily in 50+ high-density urban areas around the world. The Company is headquartered in Berlin and has over 5,000 employees.
Bodo v. Braunmühl, Head of Corporate Communications, Delivery Hero
+49 (30) 544 45 9090
Bodo joined Delivery Hero in 2013. He started as Head of PR, today he is responsible for the company’s corporate communications. Before joining Delivery Hero he worked in the comms area for 20 years, holding various positions in journalism, marketing and PR at companys such as Burda, Springer or Betfair.
Bodo is a graduate of Deutsche Journalistenschule in Munich, and Deutsche Film- und Fernsehakademie Berlin. In addition he holds a Diplom (equiv. to MSc) in Regionalwissenschaften from University of Cologne.