Delivery Hero establishes EUR 3 million Financial Support Program for riders across the globe
- Delivery Hero SE is establishing a Financial Support Program worth EUR 3 million to enable its subsidiaries to support riders through the COVID-19 crisis
- The goal of the program is to support Delivery Hero’s international community of riders in 43 countries
Berlin, 16 April, 2020﹣Delivery Hero SE’s (Delivery Hero) riders play an important role in our vision to always deliver an amazing experience. In these unprecedented times, our riders’ commitment is vital to keep communities healthy and fed. Today, we are proud to announce the establishment of a dedicated support program, making an overall sum of EUR 3 million available to all subsidiaries of Delivery Hero. The program will help fund the cost of providing financial support to riders who are not otherwise protected. The Financial Support Program will be financed by Delivery Hero and cover up to 15 days of compensation for lost income for freelance riders who have been positively diagnosed with COVID-19 or put in quarantine.
Our riders’ dedication makes it possible to provide our local communities across more than 40 markets with meals, groceries, pharmacy and medical supplies. We care for the wellbeing of all our riders and take this responsibility seriously. To minimize any potential health risks, Delivery Hero has introduced thorough safety measures, hygiene procedures and no-contact delivery. Today we are intensifying our support by establishing a Financial Support Program to enable our subsidiaries to help their freelance riders affected by COVID-19
Niklas Östberg, CEO at Delivery Hero
How does the COVID-19 Financial Support Program work?
- The health and safety of riders is our main priority, and this program is designed to encourage our subsidiaries to assist riders who suffer from loss of work due to COVID-19
- Delivery Hero’s subsidiaries can give a one time financial assistance of maximum 15 days of remuneration lost due to contracting COVID-19 or being quarantined by local authorities
- The Rider Support Program covers freelance riders who are not protected against a loss of income
- Delivery Hero will evaluate extending the period of support or increasing the amount of financial aid provided based on how the COVID-19 crisis evolves
The Delivery Hero rider community continues delivering an amazing experience even during turbulent times. Freelance riders may be financially vulnerable if they get sick or have to stop working due to imposed quarantine. In establishing the Rider Support Program, the ultimate goal is that freelance riders suffering from the spread of COVID-19 receive financial assistance during this difficult time. We are continuously implementing best practices to adapt to the rapidly evolving situation and will evaluate the success of the program in the months to come
Emmanuel Thomassin, CFO at Delivery Hero
In addition to establishing the Rider Support Program, Delivery Hero is equipping riders in high risk zones with hand sanitizers, masks and other safety materials where and when it is locally and culturally accepted. We have also implemented cashless payments, contactless delivery and promote no-contact pick-up from restaurants and other vendors, keeping all personal contact to a minimum.
ABOUT DELIVERY HERO
Delivery Hero is one of the leading global online food ordering and delivery marketplaces. The company maintains number one competitive market positions, in terms of restaurants, active users and orders, and online and mobile platforms, across 35 out of 44 countries in Europe, the Middle East & North Africa (MENA), Latin America and Asia-Pacific. Delivery Hero also operates its own delivery service primarily in over 600 cities around the world. Delivery Hero is headquartered in Berlin, Germany and has over 22,000 employees.
Director of Global Communications